Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Why the Vice Presidential Debate Is a Waste of Time

No, I did not watch the Vice President debate last night. I will tell you why.
 
First. My mind is already made up who I am voting for. In fact, I made up my mind way back around January 21, 2021. The events since then have only made my belief in my decision deeper.

Second, when Donald Trump announced JD Vance as his running mate, I knew that he was a man who had been a “Never-Trumper” and saw the light. It is like when someone converts to a religion and proves to be more devout than one who was born and raised in it.

Third. The VP debate really does not reveal anything new for voters to consider. The needle practically does not move even one tick in either direction to influence a voter to change his mind. Even an independent voter may only wiggle the needle during the debate and for as many people who say they were finally decided one way, the same number move to the other direction.

Fourth. The ONLY memorable comment or line I  remember in the last forty years which came out in a VP debate was in 1988 when Lloyd Bentsen in his response to Dan Quayle’s statement about JFK was, ”I knew Jack Kennedy. And you, sir, are no Jack Kennedy.” Did that response affect the vote? No. Bush and Quayle still won.

To me, it is cheap political theater and a weak attempt to garner ratings for the network holding it. And within two news cycles, whatever was said, or deemed “important”, will fade away. And the choices will still be about the Presidental nominees.

And my choice is still Donald Trump.

No comments:

Post a Comment