Monday, January 20, 2014

MLK Day, 2014

In today's USA Today:

http://usat.ly/1e5kuLI
As a 63 year old baby boomer, I can tell you that I was deeply affected by Dr King's message of Justice and Equality for all Americans. His method of his message to obtain both of these through non-violence is a tribute to his Christian beliefs, as well as, his own upbringing.

He certainly did not prothelysize his religion, to convert us to the Southern Baptist denomination of Christianity. But, as a minister, he used his deep faith to educate us all about the injustice and inequality of the time.

The associated article to this commentary says so much more than  I could say about our perceptions today of the progress we have made since 1968, with regard to both these ideals. The article highlights interviews with African-American conservatives and their views of that progress, and what still needs to be done to achieve Dr King's vision. 

I have tried to live my life by the ideals Dr King put forward. Those of you who know me personally understand that I have championed civil rights for all segments of our society. These ideals were learned during the horrible days of our country, you know, Birmingham, Macon, Selma, Ole Miss and finally, Memphis. 

As a white man, I can only surmise the difficulties and hardships our Black brothers and sisters, and other non-whites have had to endure. I have had many conversations with those I have worked with and with those I have befriended. But, no matter how much you watch, read about, talk about or otherwise learn, it's not the same as living day to day in a segregated society as a Black man or woman.

(Note to limousine liberals: try as you might, you also have no idea what it's like to be Black, or poor, especially as you get into your limousines to return to your palaces after a civil rights rally. Hypocrisy does not become you.)

Thankfully, that society doesn't exist anymore. But there is more to do. We all need, blacks, whites, Asians and Latinos, to read that marvelous "I Have A Dream" speech to understand Dr King's message from August, 1963 to understand where we were, to see how we measure up now, and understand how much is still there to fix.

Thank you, Dr King, for your love of country and for the legacy you gave us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment