Thursday, January 2, 2014

Happy New Year Thoughts

You know, it was very hard not to comment about all the issues which occurred here and throughout the world. I said in my commentary of December 22 that I was giving myself the week of Christmas off. But, as you know, on Friday, I couldn't help myself.

I was away visiting friends, and I was just thumbing (not really, more like swiping) through the morning online papers (yes, I know, not paper if it's on your smartphone), and the article about Egypt in the New York Times caught my eye. So, as you know, I commented on Egypt's actions against the Brotherhood, which to me, is like the organization of punks controlled by the Grand Mufti during WWII. Congratulations to Egypt for taking a stand.
My friends were still sleeping and I didn't want to disturb them, so I sat quietly and wrote. Just so you know, I generally write my commentaries in one pass. I don't edit the piece, other than for punctuation or typos. I will tell you that one of my friends reviews the piece before I post it, but mostly for punctuation, etc. However, she will question the clarity of the piece only if I really lose sight of the overall message. She is good like that. And she doesn't try to change the message.

Anyway, my point here is that I am back, ready to sit at my writer's garret and start commenting again. My batteries are recharged from this hiatus. It was good to have the time off to spend with family and friends. Trust me, even though there is no money in blogging, none, it is a job everyday to put out two pieces a day, five days a week. But it is fun, too. Isn't that what you are supposed to have at work, fun?

I learned early on in my banking career that if it wasn't fun anymore, it was time to move on. So now I do what I really enjoy: reading and researching for an interesting topic to me, and sharing my views about it to you. That game plan is working just fine for me; how is it working for you? Trust me, I have fun everyday doing this and no one is paying me. Imagine how much more fun I would have if there were a paycheck attached to this?

So, now that I am back, while I know I am not the first, or even one of the first, to say it, let me wish you a very Happy New Year, and hope that all your resolutions, promises, wishes you made on Tuesday night or Wednesday, can be kept and will come true. I made one or two of each myself so I am right there with you.

And by the way, I was talking with an old classmate from Floral Park Memorial during the vacation. She and several others are planning our 45th anniversary reunion in the Fall. So, be prepared and make time. It will be good to see old friends again. If I learned nothing else from being sick, I learned that life is too short and it IS good to go home again.

Happy New Year, friends.  Starting Monday, the commentaries will start anew.

No comments:

Post a Comment