Thursday, January 30, 2014

Just Another Sunday?

“Drawing a blank?

Since Wednesday afternoon, I began pouring through the news apps I have on my phone and watching the various news cable channels before their primetime commentary/opinion shows, and I could not find a story on which to comment. When I got up at 4:15 Thursday, I still was drawing a blank.

This morning I was talking to my friend, who acts as my editor, explaining my dilemma. Anyway, she suggested that I write something light-hearted, apolitical and still be interesting.

So, I continued to rack my brain, until finally, what follows just may very well fit that bill.

This Sunday is a big day for several reasons.

First, it's Super Bowl Sunday. It's the grand game which signifies the end of the football season. While the NFL wants to produce an outstanding game and halftime show, even the most diehard fans know it is not always about the game, it is the parties. This is the day that tailgating is done indoors, enjoying football speak with friends and eating the best food of the year, football munchies. Nachos, chili, burgers, ribs, dogs and other stuff we would not normally eat on any given day. Oh yeah, let’s not forget the beer, and plenty of it. By the time the game starts, we are ready to take a nap!

The second reason, at least for this year, it's Groundhog Day. Yes, it's an old legend that most of us don't take seriously, but it's fun to think that a rodent actually has the ability to predict the weather for the next six weeks. They even made a movie about it with Bill Murray, Andie McDowell and Chris Elliot in 1993. It had a lighthearted theme with some great music. Songs like,  I Got You Babe, was played over and over, with amusing effect. By the way, that was Bill Murray's brother, Brian Doyle Murray, who had the fun of holding the groundhog as the Grand Marshall.

The third reason, Sunday marks the halfway point in the calendar until the first day of spring. Coincidentally, it also marks the beginning of the final month of Meteorological Winter. For those of you who are like me, March 1 represents the return of warmer weather, less chance for snow (although it has snowed in the Northeast well into April), longer days coming and the rebirth of nature is upon us. So, February 2 is a great day.

This Sunday, when you wake up, the day will portend so many good things for all of us. I look forward to Sunday for the reasons stated and I hope Sunday is a great day for you, too.

Enjoy the game, the legend and the forthcoming of spring. And by the way, as of Sunday, it's 14 days until pitchers and catchers.

Now, how can you complain about that?!? And my editor earned her pay!


No comments:

Post a Comment