Thursday, October 31, 2013

New York, New York

Yesterday, my friend and I had occasion to go to pick up a third friend from the hospital after a stay of several weeks and finally bring him home. He is well on the way to a good recovery.

What makes this so important to me to write about is that I will be staying with him for a bit until he is no longer reliant on others for his care. But, what is great is that he lives in the heart of the world's capital city, the city that never sleeps, or dozes for that matter. And the view from his apartment is absolutely breathtaking and awe-inspiring.

We came back in a town car, a luxury that few, including us, could afford. But it was terrific to be "home again." Years ago, I worked as a branch manager of a bank about five blocks away from here, and enjoyed working in such an eclectic neighborhood.

From where he is, you can see the vestiges of Lincoln Center, the Empire State Building, the CNN Center, Central Park and so much more. I loved working in this area because there was so much to see and do. And the restaurants? I mean, what kind of mood are you looking for? It's all here!

City nights and city lights? This is the place to see it. I mean, nothing is so beautiful in any city as the skyscrapers and the street lights glistening off the water which surrounds the entire island of Manhattan. To see it pictures or on TV is one thing, but to see it in person is a little heartstopping.

This morning, I took a walk to get a few things, milk, sugar and bagels. Remember, this is New York City and the next best place you can get a good bagel is in Jerusalem or Tel Aviv. So, short of getting on a plane, the corner bagelry and deli will just have to do.

So, for the time being, I will be able to relive some of the greatest memories from the 70s and 80s, and make new ones to add to the vault. For now, I can be "king of the hill, top of the heap", because these "little town blues are melting away" and "I'm gonna make a brand new start of it in old New York".

So, I will take a bite out of the Big Apple and enjoy the "beautiful noise" that is only New York. 

No comments:

Post a Comment