Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Election 2016, Jerry Springer and Halloween

Image result for election images pictures

Ok... so on Monday night, I saw something on TV  where this TV host was congratulating former Cincinnati Mayor Jerry Springer on his 25th anniversary for his low-class, sleazy  talk show. But wait! How can his show compare to the 2016 Presidential election cycle?

Here we have Hillary Clinton and her emails linked to sexual predator Anthony Weiner, and Donald Trump allegedly groping potential beauty queen participants. And Jerry Springer is considered a sleaze?

Image result for jerry springer image

Both these candidates have shown they can reach to the lowest levels of trash in America between reality shows, hanging out with sextists, and reaching for our most classless levels to disgust us beyond reproach.

This is the best of what America can offer? God save us from ourselves.

But I also saw something on Monday which was classic, something I hadn't seen in quite a few years, at least since 2007. Kids Trick or Treating.

Image result for Kids trick or treating images

The kids were largely pre-schoolers to probably fifth grade. And as I gave each kid his or her bag of candy that my girlfriend and I put together on Friday afternoon, I tried to guess what each kid was supposed to be. They were all so proud of their costumes.

Of course, some were store bought, or at least the masks were. In others, they were completely homemade. Some were your standard garden varieties, like Picachu, or a cat, or a skeleton, or characters from Star Wars and even a few different types of witches.

But there were a few which really were the most creative or at least, the most fun. One kid was dressed in regular clothes and when I asked him who he was supposed to be, he said. "A man from Northport", a sleepy town on Long Island's North Shore, where we were. One girl was a "Dead Bride", another kid was the "Captain from Jaws", and finally, one kid was "Donald Trump", with blond wig, black suit and red tie.
I kept telling my girlfriend that I was not a fan of Halloween, but for one fall afternoon and evening, it was actually fun.

So, in spite of what this election has become, I found what really was the best of what we could be. Our future, innocent, funny, happy and light-hearted. I felt that my faith was restored in what will become of America, if we let these little ones grow up in a world much like we did.

The only sad part is that none of us baby-boomers will be around to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment