Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Another Guest Commentary Regarding the Election

Image result for Hillary trump Images

My niece, Mary, wrote the following post to Facebook this past weekend. For disclosure, I voted for President-elect Donald Trump and she voted for Secretary Hillary Clinton. 

I have not edited this commentary, other than for grammar, as I never do with a guest commentator. I like to, instead, share a reasonable, alternative viewpoint so that we can all understand what others are saying. You know I do not believe in political-correctness because I believe that is a form of censorship. And I don't believe in censorship. As always, your comments are welcomed.

Mary:

First and foremost, I just want to say that I have done my best to keep an open mind throughout this year’s Presidential campaign. This time last year, I was laughing at the idea of Donald Trump actually receiving the Republican nomination. But I was wrong, he did. In the name of democracy and as I have with EVERY other election, I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. So over the course of the last ten months, I listened to and honestly considered his agenda and attempted to see past the egotistical, reality show stigma through which I viewed him.


On Election Day, I made a very thoughtful decision to cast my vote for Hillary because at the end of the day my heart/morals reside with the Liberals. I didn’t vote for Hillary. I voted Democratic. I voted to STOP TRUMP.
Image result for make america great again images
In all honesty however, character aside, I don’t agree with Trump’s agenda, but I don’t completely disagree with it either. His overarching campaign promise of “Make America Great Again” highlights real and undeniable issues our country and government is facing. I think if Hillary had attempted to acknowledge and address these issues more directly she may have had a chance at winning. But she didn’t, she ignored them, played it safe, held her Democratic course, and hung her hat exclusively on her vast amounts of political experience. 

This combined with the fact that people were also questioning her albeit less overt but equally offensive character is what lost her the election. The people felt ignored, they disliked the alternative, so for them it came down to “change” or “status quo”, and on Election Day, the people rebelled and chose change. For them, either scenario was equally “scary” but at least with Trump, they felt we as a people have a chance to start fixing the corporate corruption of our government.

It makes me sad that we as a nation are so desperate for change that we are willing to take the risk of electing someone like Donald Trump when there is SO much at stake. I think in some ways we think we are invincible and that nothing extremely bad can happen to us. Extremely bad $#!+ happens to people every day in all kinds of places all around the world. We are not immune to another Great Depression, World War, Civil War, or Holocaust. 

BUT, the fact that we are so desperate should be a major wake-up call that there is something seriously wrong. Our country is in a great amount of pain and regardless of if we are the ones feeling that pain, as a fellow American we should recognize and acknowledge that others are. So yes, I am scared for what our future holds and from a moral standpoint am devastated Hillary didn’t win, but a small part of me is glad Trump won. Part of me is glad there were people out there brave enough to reject the status quo because I, too, crave much needed change.

As we move forward, I hope that we can put our differences aside, come together to see this as an opportunity for WE THE PEOPLE to take back our government and start healing the pain of our fellow Americans. Don’t get me wrong, it sucks that it had to happen this way but I also understand it needed to happen this way or it never would have happened.

Image result for hunger games images

To my fellow Hillary voters…

I feel your pain, but protesting is pointless. Hillary lost, he won. Accept it. The Electoral College is in place for a very important reason: it gives each state a proportional weight regardless of its actual population. Without it, we would end up in a Hunger Games-like society where the cities have all the power. It’s not fair. The people have spoken and has painful as it may be we have no choice but to accept it. We’ve had Republican presidents before and survived. Luckily, our government was brilliantly designed to have crucial checks and balances that limit Trump’s power and even though Republicans are in charge of the House and the Senate, no one is going to let Trump do anything truly insane..... I hope!! 

And stop making this all about race and minorities because they voted for Trump, too. If that’s all you’re talking about, YOU ARE COMPLETELY MISSING THE POINT! Moving forward, we have to shift our attention to fighting the fighting on the ground with each individual piece of legislation that he proposes. Volunteer and donate to the organizations to which we hold so dear. Be the change we want to see in the world. Then, in 2020, we’ll get another chance to resume our course.

Image result for diversity images

To Trump supporters…

Although I empathize with your cause, I sincerely hope that we have ALL evolved slightly left in our thinking over the course of the last several decades. You can still lean right on certain issues (we are all entitled to our opinions) but I would hope that your views on equality in particular aren’t nearly as extreme as they once were. At the end of the day, we cannot and should not lose sight of the fact that diversity and equality IS what makes America great.

Image result for negative media images

To the media…


PLEASE stop feeding the frenzy and go back to objective reporting of what is happening and let the people form their own opinions. YOU ARE MAKING A BAD SITUATION WORSE!

No comments:

Post a Comment