Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Living With Cancer

As many of you know, I am a cancer survivor. I had a great support system around me, and I was able help the doctors help me help myself because of that. I maintained a positive attitude and I can tell you that this was a huge reason why I was able to, so far, beat it.

But, my friends, there are others who, no matter how hard they try and how strong their support system might be, are just unable to get past first base, try as they might. These are the people we need to be there for, to let them know "No One Fights Alone."

Saturday, I went to a fund-raising for someone close to me. This young lady has suffered for many years with Hodgkin's disease, has had radiation, chemotherapy and experimental drugs, which has prolonged her life and has given her hope in a difficult situation. She has taken her cross in life to try and help others in her situation by working as a radiological technician.

So, many loved ones turned out for this fund-raiser to help her raise money for her absolutely overwhelming medical bills. There were baskets that were to be raffled off, a bicycle and great entertainment, including a Smokey Robinson look-a-like and an Elvis impersonator. All entertainers and the church where the event was located, donated their time, space and talent free of charge.

The purpose of this commentary is to let you know that living with cancer doesn't only involve the patient. Family, friends and others all act as a support system to help the patient deal with his or her illness. It is absolutely essential we all understand that living with cancer is not a curse; it is, instead, test of character.

Believe me when I say, this young woman is blessed. She has the grace and dignity to live her life to the fullest. And she is showing the rest of us how it's done.

We can all take a lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment