Friday, August 23, 2013

Seasons Greetings

I don't know whether it is because I have had an opportunity to go out on my own this summer now that I am doing better, or if it is that I am more aware generally since I am retired, but I have noticed that more stores have begun putting product out earlier for the next season. For example, Hallmark for years has had Christmas ornaments displayed in July.

But this year, it seems that more retail establishments have pushed it to an extreme. I admit for disclosure purposes that I worked for a major orange big box retail store for several years after I retired from banking. I thought it was a bit unusual, but common, in the home improvement/seasonal goods industry to preseason certain items, but what I have seen since May, borders on the extreme.

Let me list a few things.

Michaels has had some fall/Halloween products since May.

Walmart and Staples have had "back to school" displays since the day school ended in June.

Home Depot and Lowes are displaying snow blowers.

And today, I walked into Dunkin Donuts, a coffee/donut/ice cream  franchise in the northeast and they had pumpkin pie and peppermint mocha flavored coffee for sale in one pound bags. In addition, egg nog ice cream was being hand scooped.

Really?!?

It's August folks, and we are rushing the year away. Bad enough that the home shopping channels have had a day set aside for holiday shopping, but to go out to the store in shorts and sandals to see winter stuff is crazy.

Even cable movie channels are showing holiday flicks like Reindeer Games, Die Hard, Home Alone and The Kranks. Good movies all, but it is 85 degrees in New York and 90 in Boston today. Come on!

If this keeps up, pretty soon Christmas, and winter will be advertised all year long. And the special feelings we have for that time of year will be lost forever.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment