Thursday, August 15, 2013

As California Goes

Presently, there is a bill working its way through the California assembly, Senate Bill 491, authored by Democrat Ed Hernandez of West Covina, which would permit Nurse Practitioners to provide medical services independent of a physician's direct supervision, under certain circumstances.

While they would not be permitted to open practices for themselves, they would be permitted to work in hospitals, skilled-nursing facilities and clinics. They would not be permitted to act as surgeons or physicians.

In addition, Senator Hernandez, in response to concerns of physicians and others, removed language that would have allowed NPs to work completely independently from physicians after 6,250 hours of training.

Once again, the most powerful lobby group in the United States, AARP, has decided to reverse its previous support of the bill, stating that these amendments would actually undermine the intent of the law, which would to provide expanded health care.

Those of you who know me will appreciate the side I take. I am a big believer that NPs and PAs (physicians assistants) are just as qualified to care for your medical needs as a physician is.

In my experience, I have found that the NP who first saw me in 2011, saved my life. I went to see a gastro doctor due to some abdominal discomfort, and the doctor was running behind. The NP saw me in his place for 20 minutes and had me scheduled for a CT scan that afternoon and for a procedure the following Friday. I am forever grateful to  her.

So, the bottom line here is that the Assembly needs to get off the stick and get this bill passed. It is critical to all of us that we at least open the door to better health care. We can always explore opportunities afterward in making the law better.

Similar to its medical marijuana policy, in this I think, "as California goes, so goes the Nation."

No comments:

Post a Comment