Thursday, October 6, 2016

Retail, Christmas and Life

20161005_143546

Yesterday was October 5, just about seventy days until Christmas, you know, the most wonderful time of the year. So, I walked into my local Costco, and what to my wondering eyes did appear? Why, a miniature sleigh, lighted trees, nativity sets, eight tiny reindeer and all the other things which we enjoy in DECEMBER.

Now, I love Christmas as much as the next person. After all, I was one if those people who made his house into a winter wonderland in my day and appeared in the local Long Island paper as one of the best decorated houses. In 2001, I had over 15,000 lights of varying colors and sizes on my house, along with nine separate scenes, all depicting everything I stored in my attic.

Image result for christmas decorated homes

I began decorating by putting the lights on my house the last weekend in October as people were trick or treating with their kids, not in September, as one of the associates told me yesterday. By Veterans Day weekend, all the scenes were assembled and staked, the weekend before Thanksgiving, all the electric was connected and finally, on Thanksgiving eve, the timers would be turned on to light my house from 5 pm to 10 pm every night until January 6.

Oh, and I had Christmas music playing during the evening, too.

I understand that the retail industry needs this time to make up its sales quotas for the year. I did retail at the orange box store for four years after I retired from the banking, mortgage and finance world. And Black Friday is retail's biggest day and weekend because by then, its books need to be in the black, or to the plus, for the year. Otherwise, no bonuses, at least for the working stiff.

Trust me, most people know Christmas is coming soon. After all, the trees are changing colors, the air is cooler now and the bathing suits have been put away for another year. So, to remind people by putting out the Christmas stuff in September is just a little bit north of overkill.

We already have been bombarded on the shopping channels, like QVC and HSN, since July with their weekend events of all Christmas all the time. It is ridiculous when the TV host is wishing the caller a Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays on July 25, when it is over 90 degrees for the fifth straight day. But at least you can change the channel. If you need something in the store and it is decorated for Christmas, you have to look at it until you are done shopping.

Oh, and one more thing. A couple of years ago, I was travelling to visit friends in Massachusetts the Friday after Election Day. So, I changed my radio station to get music in clearer. They were playing Christmas music! I wrote about this in my commentary, A Christmas Song? Already?

Here's a thought. How about waiting until we have watched the parade, gobbled up the turkey and ate a slice of pumpkin pie before playing Christmas music? We are too much in a rush and soon enough, it will all just pass us by.

Image result for macy's thanksgiving parade images

So, for now, let's enjoy Columbus Day, do some apple and pumpkin picking, and watch the leaves turn from green to red to gold. Then, go trick or treating, make sure you vote, and thank a veteran for his or her service. The holidays will be here soon enough.

Enjoy the rest of your life first. You only get one. Don't rush it by falling into that retail trap of "quick, gotta get me a tree and lights".

And, maybe instead, you will actually enjoy your Holiday Season this year because it came when it was supposed to.  

No comments:

Post a Comment