Thursday, October 27, 2016

History on the Baseball Diamond... or Is It Football Field?

Image result for baseball and football images

After my last two commentaries, I knew I had to dial it down a notch or two. So, today is not about politics, the election or any other controversial/emotional subject.

Instead, let's talk baseball.

I know I have written a lot about baseball, and history, this month. But as many of you know, I look at just about everything through the prism of history. After all, lots of lessons are learned that way.

Image result for baseball and history images

The World Series is now tied, one game each for the Indians and the Cubs. This makes the remainder of the Series a best three of five. The Series moves to Chicago, where the Cubs have been practically unbeatable over the last couple of years.

The Indians, though, had a winning road record this season. So, it isn't a walk in the park for either team.

As you know, my team is the Orange and Blue team which plays in Flushing Meadow Park, home of the 1939 and 1964 World's Fairs. And I have bled those colors since 1962. But, friends, this IS history and there is nothing better than that to pique my interest. In another year, I would be, admittedly at best, a casual watcher. But I want to watch History being made.

There is no way that either team will win three straight in Wrigley. It is a tough job under the best of circumstances in the middle of the summer. And, now, because of Charles Finley, owner of the A's in the 60s and 70s, who insisted on night baseball for the playoffs and Series, baseball is going to be played, at night, on Lake Michigan, in the middle of the football season.  BRRRRRR.

Image result for great lakes images

So, put on your longjohns, a skully cap, your winter coat and get ready for baseball like it has never been played before: in 20 and 30 degree wind chills. At the end of the weekend, it will be a three to two Series, heading back to Lake Erie for a history-making finish.

Image result for captain morgan images

And maybe put some Captain Morgan in your hot cocoa to help you stay warm. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment