Wednesday, April 10, 2013

America's Obesity Problem

I had to go to the doctor today because of some ongoing effect from my cancer surgery. Don't worry, all is well.

The doctor I saw was a surgeon who specializes in bariatric surgery, you know, lap band, gastric bypass, etc. I was shocked to see so many people who were so overweight and needed surgical help.

I thought about some of the reasons for people to end up in this condition: stress, heredity, advertising, laziness, no self respect. I mentioned advertising because in the 70s and 80s, we were lulled into bad habits by hamburger places, chicken joints, pizza parlors and  fish shops. The fast food types.

We became lazy because it became more convenient and cheaper to eat this food, avoid shopping and cooking it ourselves. And then for only a few pennies more, we could super size it. What a deal!

And what did we do? We passed these bad habits onto our kids. So now we are a nation of obese, lazy and sloppy men and women, boys and girls. That's a shame.

President Kennedy created the President's Council on Physical Fitness in 1961 because we were between 5 and 10 lbs overweight. We are now a nation that averages 50 to 75 lbs more than we should. We also suffer from high blood pressure, cardiac disease, diabetes, renal problems and other diseases which could be avoided by how and what we eat.

People were annoyed when Mayor Bloomberg instituted a ban on high sugar sodas. Me included. Now while I am not a fan of the nanny state, I understand he was trying to address a serious problem.

It is time that as a nation, we need to lose at least 50 lbs a person very quickly. Otherwise, we will see a future of problems as yet unforeseen for a surgery that could be avoided with diet and will power.

I am starting today because I have to lose 25 lbs more. Will you join me?

1 comment:

  1. Frank, this is a great piece, and I am on your side, I don't like the 'nanny state' BUT I also acknowledge that we have a serious problem on our hands with regards to obesity. The problem cannot be solved through bureaucracy, because it will have the same effect as these fast food joints had in the 70's and 80's as you said. It would remove the people's ability to see the truth for themselves as the cheap fast food prices did back in the day. Bureaucracy might be able to reduce the obesity level of people, BUT it will also diminish a person's ability to make choices for themselves. Some obese people deserve help, others have chosen their path. You know?

    Real leadership is less about law and more about being a role model and a symbol of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete