Saturday, December 12, 2015

Surgeries and Recoveries



I haven't been able to write lately because I have had some medical/surgical issues which needed to be addressed. Last Thursday, I had a Disctectomy and Laminectomy on my lumbar area to resolve disc degeneration and severe spinal stenosis (yes, the same which, this year, impacted the playing time of Met third baseman, David Wright).
While David makes his livelihood diving for baseballs and hitting doubles for a living, when I was diagnosed in 2012, mine was a very mild form and nothing needed to be done. But this spring, it become substantially worse and finally this summer, it exploded on me and crippled me beyond anything I ever experienced before. And I lost a kidney and had cancer four years ago.
I have not remained inactive; I have continued to comment and post opinions on Facebook and Twitter, and to a lesser extent, to my groups on LinkedIn. Trust me, I am a man of many opinions and have a propensity to share them.
Nevertheless, when I finally faced the fact that surgery was needed, I ended up having it at the Hospital for Special Surgery. After all, these professionals are the experts if you have a need for any surgery on your back or spine. In fact, these are the orthopedists of choice. They have seen and done it all.
I am not knocking orthopedists who practice elsewhere. They are all good for repairing the broken arm or leg. And I am sure they are competent surgeons for a knee or hip replacement. I was just fortunate to have HSS as an option.
My purpose to tell you this is to remind you that as you get older, you should insist on an MRI for your spine to make certain you do not become suddenly disabled as I did. It is very painful, both physically and emotionally when it just shows up unannounced. At the first sign of that backache, go to your doctor and request an MRI; it is the prudent thing to do.
I am in rehab now and I anticipate leaving in about a week. I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment