Friday, October 11, 2024

Here Comes the Sun

For the last two days, I was hunkered down at my daughter's house as we dealt with Milton, and its aftermath. I had been in many storms in my life, like Carol and Edna in the 1950's, Donna in 1960, Dora in 1970, Gloria in 1985, Floyd in 1999, Sandy in 2012 and Ian in 2022.
 
And recently, my family dealt with Helene last month. But even in my life, I had never witnessed such an intense Hurricane like Milton.

Fortunately, while we lost a gate, had a tree uprooted and experienced some minor flooding and loss of our cable and electric, we made it through unscathed. Some others, sadly, weren’t so lucky. And I pray for the families they leave behind.

Today, when I woke up, other than some debris in the yard, it seems everything is back to normal. One would think it wasn’t too bad, given the circumstances in which I find myself today. Gotta count my blessings.

Of course, my grandchildren found this to be exciting. When they lived in New York, we were hit with Hurricane Henri, which knocked a tree branch and pulled down a wire in front of their house. But, they were much younger, and their dim memories of it were only enhanced by the stories we told them.

But they WILL remember Milton. The Hurricane party, no school before, during, and after the storm, grandparents sleeping on couches, extra dogs in their home and even the howling wind and incessant rain.

However, as with all things, the exciting and fun things will be remembered, while any negatives about the event will fade away. Funny how our brains work that way. With everything in life.

So, for those who were impacted severely by Milton, I wish you a swift return to normalcy. For the rest of us, we should hope the next one will be less damaging for everyone.

And today, we can walk outside, look up to the sky, give thanks and understand the positive message of that classic song.

I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment