Saturday, December 31, 2022

2022 - A Year In Flux

 


This was a year with many changes in my life, some good, some difficult, and some, let's just say, still pending.

I made a huge life choice, for sure. After spending my entire life on Long Island, I chose to move to Florida. That move was a good move, but difficult, because while I moved with my daughter and her children, I moved away from my son and his. I also left many friends behind, some of whom were lifelong friends. And I left my cousins there as well.  Difficult.

 I had been diagnosed with Stage 2 Bladder Cancer at the end of 2021. I was worried how I would treat this, and I considered coming back to see my doctors for my treatment.  Well, it became very expensive right away, with airfare and Uber costs the first time, and the cost of car rentals the next two times. So l, as much as I loved my oncologist and her team, who I developed a great relationship over the years, fortunately, found another great oncologist and a terrific urologist right here, in the next town. Difficult, but ultimately, good.

I am presently, after a relapse and return of the cancer, in remission under the care of these two great doctors. So, while that is good, it is still pending. And that is okay, since pending and being in remission is a whole lot better than dealing with the surgeries, chemo and Keytruda. And all the mind games dealing with what cancer brings. However, I lost a lot of weight and no longer need to take insulin. Ultimately, good.

 I love the weather here, wearing shorts and short sleeved shirts, especially on December 31. We did have winter last weekend over Christmas when the temperature plunged to 29* Christmas Eve at night. But it was in the 40s Christmas Day, and then in the 50s and 60s by Wednesday. Spring has returned, for sure. And today, it will be 80. So, good.

 We had two hurricanes since I moved here. But they were just rain with some wind. No biggie. I went to a couple of tree lightings and a Christmas parade, in shorts, in early December and it was 75*at dusk. Listening to Frosty and looking at lights with the AC running was different than anything I experienced on Long Island, but it was good. Weird, but good.

This was my 2022. Some good, some difficult, some still pending. But isn’t all that just life? Surely it is. And the coming year, well, it will be different, too.

 For 2023, I plan to finish writing a book I started earlier this year and that will be a positive goal and accomplishment. For all of you, I wish peace, happiness and love because you deserve it. You are, after all, my friends.

 So Happy New Year and may 2023 be the best year we ever had.


No comments:

Post a Comment