Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Today's American Media and Fairness


Report: Major TV networks exploited Las Vegas mass shooting to ...



It is amazing to witness how the people of the United Kingdom and the United States react so differently to their leaders. Presently, the British, no matter whether they are Liberals or Conservatives, are supporting Boris Johnson as he lays in the hospital in intensive care, and unable to directly lead his people through the current CV-19 crisis. Conversely, there is a huge disconnect between Democrats and Republicans, Liberals and Conservatives, and how each group reacts to the efforts of President Trump and his direct leadership as he leads the United States through the crisis.

Why is that? Could it be how each country’s media reports on its country’s leadership? After all, PM Johnson and his Government is a Conservative entity, and as here in the US, its media is predominately Liberal. Yet, for some reason, the media in the US cannot bring itself to drop its hatred for President Trump and react as fairly as its counterpart is acting in Great Britain.

Hmmm…

Image result for jim acosta images

Could it be that the US media, as a collective entity, does not know how to be fair? After all, the face of today’s current media is none other than that dumb@$$ clown Jim Acosta. Even ABC’s Jonathon Karl has, in his memoir, "Front Row at the Trump Show," claimed that Acosta was "playing into the explicit Trump strategy of portraying the press as the opposition party."

 "The surest way to undermine the credibility of the White House press corps is to behave like the political opposition," Karl wrote. "Don't give speeches from the White House briefing room."

Jonathan Karl | White House Correspondents' Association (WHCA)

“Regarding Jim Acosta, to paraphrase Voltaire, I will defend to the death his right to report from the White House, but I have some issues with the style in which he has done so. We can be tough, we can call out things that are not true, we can be aggressive in our questioning, but I don’t think we should act like we are part of the resistance.”

Perhaps other members of the White House Correspondents Association should take a lesson for Mr. Karl and not from Clown Acosta.

As you know, I am not a conservative or a Republican, nor would you say I was liberal. I read several different publications so I can decide for myself from the information I read, what I think about each issue, as I apply what I learned to my own moral and ethical standards fairly. While Mr. Karl is not a reporter who one would say is in the President’s corner, I have generally found him to be fair in his treatment. That is all one could ask from the media, like they are doing in Great Britain.

I have seen memes on Facebook and other places saying we would be better off if the media would “shelter in place and not come out” until this crisis is over. I disagree. We need our free press to report the latest on ANY issue to keep us informed.

But, as I learned in my Journalism classes many years ago as I minored in this subject, a free press, in order to remain free and be trusted, must also report its story fairly.”

Perhaps, the rest of the media could learn a lesson from its sister British entity. And read Mr. Karl’s book.

I know I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment