Saturday, October 4, 2014

It Was a Very Good Year

Was it really that long ago? It seemed like only yesterday we were walking in the courtyard to Pomp and Circumstance. The Senior High Chorus sang You'll Never Walk Alone, Principal George Allen gave his farewell address to us and finally, FINALLY, we went back to the Auditorium to take off the gowns, return the caps and pull off the tassels to say good-bye.

Fast forward to this past Friday night. Deb, Susan, Ray, Vicki, Walt, Phyllis, Jack, Ruth, Brian, Joyce, Joe, Alice, Janet, Teray, Toni, Pete, Carole and so many others joined me for our 45th Reunion since we graduated from "Good Old" Floral Park Memorial. Maybe it is good that so many more of us wear glasses now, but honestly, it seemed like we didn't age a bit.


For some, it was the first time we were back. For me, this was only my second. Still others have come back for all of them. But it didn't matter. It was great to see such a great turnout.
Some traveled from Florida, or North Carolina, or Ohio, or Jersey, or from upstate. Others came from parts of the Island we have never left. And some came from our old hometown. But we all made the effort to be there because we knew it could be the last. And those who couldn't were there in spirit, sending regrets and truly meaning it.


Since that wonderful day those many years ago, we lost so many. Kenny was the first that November.  Since then, we lost Artie, and Kathy, and Mary Lou, and Dennis, and Vinny, and Eddie. I know there are more who are, hopefully, in a better place. But they are always in our hearts.

Some of us went off to college and others went into the military. Some never finished and others have their doctorates. No matter. For this one night, we were 17 or 18 again, happy we could share a bit of ourselves with each other and happy to see that after 45 years we still looked pretty good, all things considered.

I came late to the "committee" to help arrange such a great time. Others did so much more, especially Sue and Sue and Deb and Debi and Alice and Ginger. If I missed anyone, my sincerest apologies.

To my regular followers on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and all the blogsites I appear in, including Front Lines, The Minority Report, iCaucus,  The Bold Pursuit and my own site, Frankmchalesviews.blogspot.com,  this one time, I beg your indulgence. This was a special night I wanted to share. And I wanted to let all my classmates know how much it meant to me to see them.

So... to sum this all up... I actually can't wait until 2018 to do this again. But I know this. Between now and then we will all somehow get together in smaller groups, this time not losing the connections we made on Friday.

And, by the way. If you went to OLV in Floral Park and graduated in 1965, we get to celebrate that 50th NEXT YEAR!!! So reach out and let Sue D, Teray, Joyce T, Jack B, Toni T or me know your thoughts and help us get THAT reunion done. It certainly will be fun!

1969 - it WAS a very good year! No... it was THE BEST!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment