Wednesday, October 29, 2014

An Important Vote This Tuesday

This Tuesday, two more states, Oregon and Alaska, as well as the District of Columbia, will vote on the issue to legalize marijuana for recreational purposes. Two years ago, Coloradans and Washingtonians took that first, bold step to change our views of recreational usage.

In Wednesday's New York Times, it was revealed that the success of that program in Colorado has exceeded expectations. And Washington is not that behind in its successes, either.


As you know, I have been a proponent for years to legalize marijuana for medicinal purposes. I have told you that I used marijuana after one of my chemotherapy treatments, and I can assure you that although I pressed for its legalization based on information I read and second/third-hand feedback, after partaking a few tokes, I was convinced it was the right thing to do for truly sick people.

New York finally came on board earlier this year, with certain caveats, to allow special classes of truly sick people to have access to marijuana's medicinal benefits. I am sure New York will liberalize its policies once the program proves successful.

I hope the voters in Alaska, Oregon and DC overwhelmingly vote to legalize marijuana for recreational purposes.  The tax return will be phenomenal to those bases, not to mention the better use of the law enforcement and the criminal justice systems. 

It is the Libertarian thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment