Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Art, Life & The Papacy

Taylor Caldwell wrote a novel in the early 70's called Great and Glorious Physician, a novel about a biblical healer, St Luke.

Dan Brown wrote a novel in the last decade called Angels and Demons, where the pope elected took the name, Luke, in honor of the saint.

Sometimes art imitates life and the reverse is also true. The Catholic Church is in turmoil today, perceived by many to be out if touch with its congregation. This writer agrees with that sentiment.

The church needs someone at this juncture in its history to step forward and heal its fractured congregation. Many believe the old traditional church needs to be reinvigorated. Others believe it must break with the past and reinvent itself. Both are right.

People have fallen away for both reasons. Vatican II was a good concept that lost its way. What began as an ecumenical council to modernize the church, instead fell into disarray, with no guidance for the modern Catholic. People like me tried to hold on to some of the old traditions but 20th and 21st century life was too strong and in wild flux.

I held onto the dogma while ignoring the doctrine, you know, the man made rules. I know that many people I have talked to over the 50 plus years since that council, are as confused and as in flux as I. So I am now what my friends call a cafeteria Catholic, one who chooses what and why to believe. I know I am not alone.

I know the sins of the church and you do too, so I won't list them here. I know the wants of many on both sides of the congregation to modernize and yet keep the valid traditions. Again, no list needed as we know what they are.

My hope is that this conclave can find a Healer in its mist. There are several papile who could do the job. My hope that the elected man to take on this awesome task will be guided by St Luke and have the vision to heal a wonderful institution that is sick and ailing, and needs a healing hand to find its way back to good health.

Perhaps Taylor Caldwell and Dan Brown had the vision to see what was needed before anyone else. This time, perhaps, life WILL imitate art. We can only hope and pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment