Thursday, January 7, 2016

Hall of Fame Calling for Two of the Greats



Congratulations are in order for both Ken Griffey Jr and Mike Piazza. Both men deserve this honor for the actions they accomplished during their careers as true leaders, who led by example.
Griffey, a centerfielder primarily for the Seattle Mariners and the Cincinnati Reds, hit 630 home runs, 6th all time, had 1,836 RBI and led the Mariners to the World Series in 1995 and to the NLCS in 1997.
Piazza led all catchers in lifetime Home Runs, the Mets to the 1999 Playoffs and the 2000 Series. On September 21, 2001, in the first game after 9/11, in the bottom of the 8th inning, he hit the most dramatic home run ever hit in his career and in all-time Met history which absolutely lifted the spirits of the citizens of New York and all Americans.
I know, my friends. I am prejudiced because I am a long-time Mets Fan and I know what this means to all long-suffering fans of the Orange and Blue. Today, I am not embarrassed to share my joy with you, as much as I shared my feelings in my November 2 commentary called A Season for the Ages.
Perhaps, now, finally the Mets ownership will retire his number, 31, and give him the homage he truly deserves. As a retired player, he has been seen many times at the ballpark to support the team, both in the painful years and this year, when the Mets won the National League Championship.
I was fortunate to see him and Tom Seaver close Shea Stadium in October, 2008. It is only fitting that Piazza gets to join Seaver as the second Mets player to be elected to the Hall, and to have his number retired along with Seaver.
I could go on, but this spring and summer I will be writing again about both these gentlemen and the events, the joy and the standards they brought to America's Pastime. There is a much bigger story to tell.
Thanks so much for your indulgence, and for allowing me to share something I rarely get to do. I have bled Orange and Blue since '62 and today I have those colors all over this commentary.
Much appreciated, My Friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment