Thursday, December 5, 2013

The Mustang and Me

In Thursday's LA Times:

"Ford Motor Co. unveiled the sixth generation of its Mustang on Wednesday night, nearly 50 years after the original debuted at the New York World’s Fair.

The automaker released photos of the 2015 Mustang and planned to show it off in a global reveal at events in Los Angeles; New York; Dearborn, Mich.; Barcelona, Spain; Shanghai; and Sidney, Australia, on Thursday. The new version of the iconic American sports coupe will go on sale late next year.

“Every car company has a vehicle that strikes to the heart and soul of the company, and for us that is the Mustang,” said Mark Fields, Ford’s chief operating officer.

PHOTOS: Ford debuts 2015 Mustang

The new model hews closely to the styling that enabled Ford to sell 9 million Mustangs and made the car a star of countless movies, television shows and even postage stamps. Ford plans to take advantage of its international fame -- there’s a Mustang club even in remote Iceland -- to launch sales in Europe and Asia.

Anyone seeing the car will instantly recognize it as a Mustang, with its long sculpted hood and short rear deck. The styling is most evocative of the 1969 model.

But Dave Sullivan, manager of product analysis for the AutoPacific Inc. consulting firm said he was underwhelmed.

“This new one kind of looks like a Ford Fusion coupe,” Sullivan said."

PHOTOS: Mustangs through the years

Every guy has one car that they loved more than any other and mine is the 1966 Ford Mustang.

As one who owned a 1966 Mustang from 1969 to 1974, with a 289 V-8 engine and a "four on the floor" standard transmission, hunter green and a white vinyl roof, I can tell you it was a fun car to drive. It was, in those days, a Falcon chassis, with an aerodynamic body and so much room in the engine cavity to work.

As a single guy at the time, I can tell you that it was a great car that the girls loved to be seen in. I can also tell you that despite the fact that it was only a four passenger car, I was able to fit eight guys plus me to drive to Alley Pond Park in NYC to drink at the free concerts every Thursday night.

I have many fond memories of my Mustang, and if I could have it back today, it would certainly be a showpiece in the driveway, with historical plates and driven only in perfect weather, which on Long Island, does exist probably from May to October. But like my friend who owns a 72 Cadillac convertible since 1972, it would be covered each night and all winter long, never to see the road until next spring.

I could go on and on about my Mustang, but sadly, in March of 1974, I decided a Volkswagen Beetle was the way to go, because gas went from 28 cents a gallon before the first oil embargo, to 48 cents after. So I sold it to my brother for $100. What a deal!

If only I could have that car back now, that would be a coup. But then, if only I could be 19 again.....

No comments:

Post a Comment